Tuesday 21 June 2011

Irish Wheaten Bread Recipe! Yum!

Happy Summer Solstice everyone! Its a happy time here on this wee blog as I think it has been fixed and faith restored! I had a wee word with the lovely people at blogger admin and they told me what to fiddle about with and hey presto, here we be! I hope! Now as it is Summer Solstice and I am care free posting again, I thought I would let you in to the world's best recipe from the Emerald Isle. Wheaten bread! It is soooo easy to make, sooooo inexpensive and soooooo lovely that I just had to share it with you! But don't tell anyone will you, just our wee secret!








Wheaten bread Recipe (Just like my granny made!)












2 cups of self raising flour






2 cups of wholewheat flour





1/4 cup of sugar

2 cups of buttermilk

1/4 cup of olive oil


1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda/ bicarbonate of soda

1 1/2 teaspoons of salt

(I am using cups measurements as it is a lot easier and besides, my weighing scales have broken and has a screw loose somewhere, a bit like its owner.)
Now for the magic! Put the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a big bowl and mix it all up! Then make a well in the middle.
Then pour the buttermilk and olive oil in well and stir it up!




It should turn into a sticky dough!




Then on a well floured surface gently knead (not too much now!) and make into a loaf type shape. Then make a cross on the top with a well floured knife.





Please note: Let's do not do as I did and wallpaper a baking sheet with parchment paper





as it could cause a fire hazard, as you can see! Just enough to cover the base of the dough shall do!




Bake in a preheated oven 220C for approximately 25 mins. If unsure if its done, place a knife in the middle and if comes out sticky, cover with parchment paper and whack it in the oven for a further 15 mins! Cool on a wire rack! Yum, Yum, Yum! Especially toasted, slabs of butter and a cup of tea! How super simple was that? Big fella loved this bread so much I make this at least twice a week! Big Fella needs fed! I totally converted him, I loved that look on his face when he first had a slice! Unfortunately this has resorted to violence in our home as I have to smack his hand away from my slice if I'm not quick enough. The Claire Stare is not effective in these matters.





(Do you see the way the shadow of his hand ruined this picture?)








Well, let me know if you give it a go! The sun is now waning and the seasons are due to changing once again, and it reminds me of a sign I seen recently:




Live by the sun, and love by the moon!








Cheerio!

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, that toast looks delightful! I don't blame the Big Fella for wanting to steal your slice too. And glad to hear your blogging problems have been resolved -- good news!

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful - I am definitely trying that out! Will let you know how I get on ;) Thanks for the giggles xxx

(behave yourself big fella!)

Rose said...

Tee hee! Your bread looks lovely! Glad you have sorted your bloggy issues and returned!