Sunday 29 November 2009

Family time at Christmas.

Hello everyone, hope your Thanksgiving holiday or simply your week for filled with peaceful joy and laughter. Or as close to it. I did some more drawings which you can have a peek at here if you like.

Once I shared a flat with a wonderful friend who after a year could not take living with me no more and moved to the other side of the world to Australia. Na, we had such a laugh and good time, I miss her so, but yet I am very proud to say we do keep in good contact. Not on face book, not by email, just good old fashioned letter writing. I genuinely love the feeling of receiving a letter or parcel with that familiar handwriting and you can't wait to open it to find out what is inside! So much warmer than email to me, considering I can't work the bloody things half the time!

Do not get me wrong. I do love what technology has done over the years, (Look at me blogging?!?) but let me give you a taster of what I mean. Recently I was sitting at my desk in work, when I received a email saying asking how many children are registered with the nursery. Gobsmackingly to me, the person who sent me the email was sitting less than 10 feet away from me! I couldn't help but say, "Oh, I can answer that now for you" and told her.

Without moving an inch way from the computer screen, she said "You could have just emailed me that" Yeah, I thought, and you could have got up of your arse and simply asked me! Where has communication and manners gone?

I like it old skool. (Look at me and my cool K) when it comes to manners, it would seem, and this is because of my dad. My dad felt very strongly about manners with everyone. Everyone.Let me explain by giving you a child hood memory of mine.

I remember walking into a shop with my dad to find the shop keeper chatting away on the telephone (No cell phones in the olden days)
not even acknowledging us as he took my dads purchase, handed back the change with not even a thank you or goodbye.

Even though I was young I remember thinking, "it all gonna kick off in here."

Here's what happened next.

Man hands change to my dad, turns AWAY from him (lethal move in my dad's eyes)and continues laughing down the phone.
My dad, livid, puffs out his chest, strides around to the other side of the counter and booms to the shop keeper:

" Excuse son, I am sorry, was I taking up your time doing your job there? I tell you what, you can take this Barbie magazine I paid far too much for and shove it where the sun don't shine, and I will have my money back as well. You will never have my custom here again sir, you can be sure of that!!"

Receiving his money from the man's now trembling and shaking hand, my dad stormed out of the shop huffing and puffing, leaving myself and the shop keeper staring at each other. He was sucking his thumb and whimpering in a corner, and I stared back thinking " But what about my barbie magazine?"

Yep, my father takes no nonsense and over the years nothing has changed. Nor would I want it to really. I am going home over Christmas to see the family before coming back to big fella and the water for the new year. Trust me, my posts around Christmas will be filled with these episodes no doubt.

But I have to say,every time something like this happens (a lot),he has been right and the now sorry people included should have known better and should have taken time out to pass a hello or a smile to him.If they had of done, my dad would be as charming as can be and make you feel like a million dollars. And you know what they say, a smile cost nothing and is a universal language.

But of course, my dad is only one segment in this jolly family tree.

I am the oldest child and down the line is my brother, who I have a blast with every time I come home. He is convinced that Destiny's child single, "I 'm a Survivor" is actually sung "I'm a bus driver." Really.

Then there is my other brother who walks around the house in a leather jacket, dog tags, and a sullen stare. Occasionally he will mumble in a American accent "Hey man, hows it hangin?"

Why? You're from BELFAST!! SWEET JC!

And of course the youngest of the clan, my sister, who at nineteen thinks she knows everything. You can not tell her different because "The National Enquirer says so! Alright?" Subsequently taking out the signal, talk to the hand, cause the face ain't listening pose for the rest of the day. Very draining.

Anyway this is all to come in the next up and coming weeks. Don't get me wrong, I am just as bad. I will probably lose the turkey, somehow set the Christmas tree on fire and have the local police department around at least once before the festive season is through. I better stop now, I do not want anybody nominating us for Jerry Springer. Hope all is well in your world!!

15 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, family helps make the Yuletide bright, don't they? LOL!

Rudee said...

I was watching the movie, Four Christmases and munching some snacks. Vince Vaughn said, "you can't spell families without lies." I swear, I laughed so hard and almost choked on my chips. Indeed you can't spell families without the last 4 letters.

I hope you have a great holiday, and if you think you're alone with the Springer like family members, think again.

Bridgett said...

LOL...your family sounds like a hoot! :D

)O(
boo

Rue said...

Ahh..families! Never a dull moment around mine either. My father acts like yours! Joy to the world - but I'd settle for some peace instead!

Dede said...

Always something happening within the family. LOL Remember you can choose your friends, not your family. We still love them!

(((HUGS)))

Renee said...

I love this post Claire and did you know your father is my twin. Glad to see we are related at least by the code of manners.

And yes you were cool with your k in school.

Love Renee xoxo

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I am always smiling when I come to your blog! Your Dad was spot on with the guy behind the counter! Manners every where seem to have disappeared...I'm still looking for them around here. Just remember when it comes to family...age & wisdom go hand in hand!
Here's to the good old fashioned letter writing!

Holly said...

May your days be merry and bright, and may all yer Yuletides be hangin'!

Barbara said...

Oh, Claire! I loved this post! I laughed so hard about the brother with the American accent and the story about your father. Oh, how I've wanted to do that myself, sometimes! Good for him! Hope you have a great time back home.
xoox

Renee said...

Darling friend your hand is very soft.

Love Renee xoxo

Chef E said...

Not sure if you are still interested but we changed things at My Town Blogger Shoot Out and are using a linky gadget that allows us to have more members... Come over to this site and check it out...
http://mytownshootout.blogspot.com/2009/12/mr-mcklinky-information.html
You participate and link when you have the time, showing off your town highlights with each weeks theme posted on the side bar...
Thanks, and look forward to following you... E

La Petite Gallery said...

What fun

nice family

yvonne

Sarah Sullivan said...

Claire..you made me giggle so hard I blew coffee out my nose hon...yes family is something..always something going on. Wonderful post hon...smiling great big smile.
I was touched by your comment today hon...your so sweet. I adore the blogs...love love love them.. I cannot imagine what would make me leave here..especially with dear friends like you here hon!!
You are one of the folks I was talking about..those dear wonderful folks who have made this year here so amazingly wonderful!! Thank you hon! Love, Sarah

Unknown said...

very funny, i really enjoyed reading your post.

Renee said...

Where are you darling.

xoxoxo